Careers with Shasta Crystals
Shasta Crystals is a crystal growth company based in Northern California producing nonlinear optical crystals for visible lasers, YAG for infrared lasers and custom materials upon request. The Company utilizes a proprietary technology that allows fast crystal growth, minimizes defect density and greatly improves crystal homogeneity.
The laboratory technician position at Shasta Crystals involves working in various departments of company, depending on current project needs. Your work will be split between crystal growth, crystal fabrication (dicing and polishing) and ceramic processing and fabrication. In fabrication and ceramic processing the laboratory technician will use a variety of material processing equipment, such as dicing saws, presses, ovens and polishing equipment. To grow various types of crystals you will use the laser heated pedestal growth machine (LHPG). The laboratory technician will enter all process steps into a central database and write daily reports on activities.
- A Bachelors of Science degree in materials science/physics/inorganic chemistry preferred
- Experience using laboratory equipment
- Experience with laboratory procedures and safety protocol preferred
- Experience working with lasers and optical systems desired but not required
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work with a team, but also to work well autonomously
- Adaptability to change in project focus on an irregular basis
- Database entry and retrieval, experience with MS Excel
- Initiative to improve on procedures when/where appropriate
- Desire for professional growth in the field of crystal growth/materials research